Using TortoiseSVN to access the document repository
Go to http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ to download the TortoiseSVN client.
Please note that you need to be a registered user in order to access the repository.
If you would like to have an account created, send a request to RDS Operations Support Services.
- Step by step: Downloading a local copy of repository (Checkout)
- Step by step: Download new material from repository (Update)
- Step by step: Add content to repository (Add and Commit)
- Step by step: Relocate repository
Step by step: Downloading a local copy of repository (Checkout)
- Start out by choosing a folder where your copy of the repository wil be stored:
- Right-click on the folder to get the following menu, and choose SNV Checkout,
- Enter the URL of the repository, and the path in the repository to the folder you wish to check out (here: the projects/IDS-ADI folder as here).
- You need to supply your username and password.
The chosen folder, and all subfolders, is downloaded.
The result is a local copy. Note that each folder is marked with a green icon that shows the files are up-to-date.
Step by step: Download new material from repository (Update)
To keep your local copy up to date with the global repository you will need to update your local copy. To do so simply navigate to the part of your local repository copy, right click and choose SVN Update:
Step by step: Add content to repository (Add and Commit)
This step by step tutorial shows how to add new content to the svn repository. The same procedure works for all files and folders. Thanks to Robin Benjamins for the initial description.
Note: if the files you want to upload already exist in the repository, i.e. the same file, but an older version, you do not need to do an "add" of the document (steps 1--4), but go directly to step 5.
- Create the content you want to add to the repository inside your local repository and in the location you want to put it in the repository. In this example we have created the folder "Test folder" in C:\POSC_Caesar TRAC\Test Folder, assuming C:\POSC_Caesar TRAC\ holds the local copy of the repository. Next, right click the new folder "Test Folder" on your local disc drive. A popup menu will appear:
- Select the “Add” command. A window dialog will appear:
- Verify by clicking "Ok" button. A new status windows dialog will appear showing the messages from the repository server:
- Select the Ok button when you are done reviewing the adding status. The new content is now marked for addition into the repository. Your local repository will now show a status on the new folder as a red tick, indicating that your local copy is changed from the downloaded global version in the repository. To upload (commit) the changed to the global repository right click the folder. You should see a new option in the popup menu:
- Select the SVN Commit.
- Write a message in the message text area, indicating the change you have or the purpose if the upload. This message is very useful as it allows user of the repository to track the changes to the documents. If the files to upload are not binary content, e.g., text files (.txt), you can double-click the files and see the changes you have made to the file.
- Select the "Ok" button to complete the command. Your new content will be uploaded to the TRAC Subversion repository. The follow dialog will status you upload:
- You're done!
Step by step: Relocate repository
If the URL to the subversion repository changes, the Relocate command needs to be run on the local copy to "reconnect" the local copy to the moved global repository. Here is how to do it:
- Right-click the root folder in the local copy of the repository, go to the ´TortoiseSVN´ menu, and choose Relocate:
- Change the URL to the new URL to the repository and click ok:
- Wait for the reconnect confirmation -- and you're done!
- tortoise_checkout_1-2.png (63.6 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_upload_1.png (8.3 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_upload_2.png (4.0 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_upload_3.png (5.2 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_upload_4.png (7.8 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_upload_5.png (5.7 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_upload_6.png (10.5 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_upload_7.png (6.6 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_update_1.png (26.8 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_checkout_1.png (25.6 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_checkout_2.png (10.9 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_checkout_4.png (7.0 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_checkout_5.png (38.9 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_checkout_6.png (31.5 kB) - added by margs 9 years ago.
- tortoise_relocate1.gif (31.0 kB) - added by margs 8 years ago.
- tortoise_relocate2.gif (6.8 kB) - added by margs 8 years ago.